Follow us on Twitter
Meet the Teacher
Click the button below to see information about Year 1
This section shows information on the topics covered across the curriculum in Year 1, as well as the sticky knowledge we expect the children to have remembered by the end of the year.
Click the buttons below to see the expectations for Reading, Writing and Maths in Year 1.
The promotion of British Values is taught implicitly throughout the curriculum and school life.
The focus of these values in the Primary Curriculum are:
- British Values of Democracy.
- The Rule of Law.
- Individual Liberty
- Mutual respect
- Tolerance of those with different faiths and beliefs.
As a school we promote these values through a variety of activities.
British Values of Democracy
Classroom monitors and jobs, pupil questionnaires. Pupils also take part in simple debates in a variety of subjects.
The Rule of Law
Ensuring that school rules, including safety rules, are understood and consistently applied. Opportunities for pupils to distinguish between right and wrong. Visits from the emergency services. eSafety rules and their importance. Bikeability and road safety.
Pupils learn how and why rules are made in school, and how laws are made in Britain. They learn about the monarchy in History lessons.
Pupils celebrate Black History Month. Anti-bullying week is studied in school with the pupils completing a selection of age appropriate lessons. Debates and balanced arguments are completed in class, across a range of subjects.
Tolerance of those with different faiths and beliefs
Pupils celebrate events and festivals from major world faiths. There is a breadth of themes in assemblies. School lunches cater for different needs. Different religions are taught throughout the school. Culture/Theme days are celebrated throughout the school year
- Year 1 starts at 8:50 prompt.
- Please ensure your child has a full uniform.
- Your child’s PE day is TUESDAY. Please send your child to school in their PE kit. Earrings must be removed before school.
- Reading books – Your child will have TWO reading books. One from our reading scheme BUG CLUB and one from our Phonics scheme. They are excpected to read both weekly, as reading is our top priority.
- Please check your child’s reading record as to when your child’s books will be changed. Please read and sign it before this day. If you would like to change the day, please let us know.
- Water bottles welcome everyday.
- Book bags and reading books in school everyday if possible. This gives us the opportuity to listen to readers who may need more confidence/ struggling.
In Year 1, all children take part in the Phonics Screening. Click the button below to see more information.